Dementia Aware Donegal
Lead organisation: The Alzheimer Society of Ireland, Donegal Branch and HSE West (Donegal)
Dementia Aware Donegal aims to spread awareness and understanding of dementia throughout Donegal and to provide additional support to the over 2,000 families living with the condition in Donegal.
There are a number of key components to the project:
1. ‘Be a Sport for Dementia’ - supporting people with dementia to continue to participate in their local sports clubs and organisations.
2. ‘Faith, Hope and Charity’ – the development of best practices by the clergy (from a number of faiths) to fulfil their pastoral role to people with dementia and their families.
3. ‘Hearth and Home’ - provide support for people living with dementia in the community to continue with the normal activities of life.
4. ‘You’ve got a Friend in Me’ – to establish a team of Dementia Champions who will be trained to recruit and train other people as Dementia Friends.
5. ‘Ordinary Man – Extraordinary Memories’ – a project based around this play which will be delivered to Transition Year students from schools across the County and will grow the awareness and understanding of those involved about dementia.
Project Contact Details:
Name: Alastair McKinney
Position/Role: Chairperson, The Alzheimer Society of Ireland [Donegal Branch]
Telephone: 087 641 7676