Dementia Carers Campaign Network
Who we are?
The Dementia Carers Campaign Network is a group of people who have experience caring for a loved one with dementia. Set up in 2013 the group aims to be a voice of and for dementia carers in Ireland and to raise awareness of issues affecting families living with dementia.
The group is facilitated and supported by The Alzheimer Society of Ireland organising meetings and keeping members updated on campaigns and events. The DCCN is overseen by a committee of current and former carers who take responsibility for driving the work of the network. Members of the network are invited to attend four meetings a year. At these meetings the group discusses issues affecting people with dementia and their family carers.
The DCCN is made up of an Eastern Group which meets in Dublin and a Mid-Western Group which meets in Limerick.
In June 2019, The DCCN hosted an event called ‘Empowering Volunteer Family Carer Advocates’ which aimed to promote importance of the carer voice and to showcase the value of voluntary carers in Ireland during Carers Week. Please watch the video that captured the day (above).
What we do?
- Fully involved in monitoring the implementation of Irelands first National Dementia Strategy
- Awareness raising activities to fight stigma and improve the understanding of dementia including local and national media work
- Contribute to numerous research programmes
- Present at conferences nationally and internationally
- Members sit on a variety of National Steering Groups to influence public policy
- Lobby political representatives
- Contribute to training and education programmes for health care professionals
The DCCN is an opportunity for you to raise awareness of what it’s like to care for a loved one with dementia and the supports people need to keep caring.
Judy Williams Chairperson
The network is very active, you can find out more about the work that members are involved in below.
If you are interested in working with the DCCN on a piece of work, please complete and return this Engagement Request Form to Laura Reid, Advocacy Engagement and Participation Officer – email@example.com
- The DCCN is hosting a free event for family carers ‘Empowering Volunteer Family Carer Advocates’ on Thursday, 13th June in Dublin city centre to mark Carers Week.
- Members sit on a number of groups Groups being led out by the National Dementia Office Steering Groups including: Diagnosis, Post Diagnosis Pathways and Memory Technology Resource Rooms.
- The DCCN also gets involves in a campaign each year. In late 2015 they launched their first campaign on The Impact of Caring and followed this with Walk in our Footsteps in 2016.
- Most recently the DCCN worked with their colleagues in the Irish Dementia Working Group on the issue of diagnosis. This joint campaign aimed at healthcare professionals has been delivered to GP’s, Occupational Therapists and Nursing Homes and has been very well received.
The Impact of Caring
Caring for a loved one with dementia takes time, energy and, above all, love. It can be a long and emotional journey but with the proper support, it can be a rewarding one too. The DCCN aims to represent, raise awareness and campaign on the distinct needs of people who care for someone with dementia. You can download a copy of the campaign here
Walk in our Footprints: A Dementia Carer’s Journey
This campaign highlighted the different stages of a dementia carer’s journey, sharing their personal experiences of the issues and needs that arise at each stage. You can download a copy of the campaign here
News from the Network
The Network is now on Twitter, you can follow them via @DCCNIRL
- The DCCN is delighted to welcome Laura Reid to the team. Laura is our Advocacy, Engagement and Participation Officer and will have responsibility for coordinating and developing the DCCN. Laura was the Vice-Chair of the DCCN since 2014 so she brings her own personal experiences to the role. If you know any families carers that might be interested in joining the DCCN, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
DCCN in the media
You can find out more about the work and lives of members of the DCCN through interviews and features they have recently given on TV, radio and press.
‘Let’s Talk Dementia’ radio series – This six part series, presented by Fionnuala Sweeney, looks at different aspects of dementia featuring our Chairperson http://www.understandtogether.ie/lets-talk-dementia/
Meet the members
Judy Williams – Chairperson
Maire Anne Doyle
Sean Donal O’Shea