Malahide Branch Office
For a number of years, a small group of local people in Malahide have been exploring ways of supporting people with dementia and their carers in the community. That group has evolved into a committee that was recently afforded Branch status by the Alzheimer Society of Ireland (ASI).
On Monday, September 2nd, 2019, Malahide Branch (ASI) opened a new Day-Care Service in the Parochial Centre at St. Sylvester’s Church, Malahide kindly facilitated by Father Kevin Moore.
The centre provides a support service each Monday from 12 noon ‘till 5pm for up to 10 people with cognitive impairment through a wide range of dementia-specific activities. Carers benefit from very necessary respite time while the Day-Care service is in operation.
Further information about the Malahide Day Care Service may be obtained from Maeve Quigley, Day-Care Manager, at 086 770 3432 on Mondays only.
While the Day-Care Centre is run by The Alzheimer Society of Ireland, the entire cost of the enterprise is met from local voluntary fundraising and a small daily contribution from attendees.
The new day care centre opening is much due to the generosity and support of Gibney’s of Malahide. Gibney’s ‘Cheltenham 100 Club’ members raised €10,000 through the proceeds of winnings from the 2019 Cheltenham Festival.
This new service is the first stage of an ambitious plan to build a permanent five-day dementia Day-Care Centre on a site in Malahide. The permanent centre will cater for up to 20 people per day. While State funding for a significant portion of the day-to-day costs of such a venture is anticipated, the cost of the building itself and a considerable contribution towards its running costs will have to come from local sources. The permanent centre will subsume the new one-day Day-Care Centre at St. Sylvester’s.
Join or support Malahide ASI Branch: please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Malahide Branch needs:
- Committee Members to help develop this worth-while project.
- Volunteers to take part from time to time in designated fund-raising for the Malahide Branch e.g. The Alzheimer’s Memory Ribbon Day on Thursday, 21st November 2019.
- Supporters who will organise and run National Campaign Days at local level to support Branch initiatives e.g. the Alzheimer’s Tea Day on Thursday, 7th May 2020.
- Contributions towards, and on-going commitments to support Malahide Branch services for people with dementia.
- Pledges, bequests and legacies towards the provision of our permanent centre.
For information on legacies, bequests or general fundraising information please contact a member of the Fundraising team on 01-2073833 or email email@example.com.