All-Party Oireachtas Group on Dementia
Formed in 2016, the All-Party Oireachtas Group on dementia is an important forum for discussion and advocacy on dementia in the Oireachtas. The key role of the group is to build understanding and galvanise cross-party Oireachtas support and consensus for long-term planning and resources for people with dementia and their family carers. The first Co-Chairs of the group were Senator Collette Kelleher and Deputy Mary Butler.
The current Group is chaired by Senator Fiona O’Loughlin, Membership
The secretariat for the Group is provided by the Alzheimer Society of Ireland (ASI) as is expert advice.
There are approximately six meetings of the Group each year, including briefings on dementia from The ASI, the Irish Dementia Working Group, the Dementia Carers Campaign Network and other dementia experts.
The All Party Oireachtas Group’s work to date includes:
- Quarterly information sessions for Oireachtas members, most recently hosting a session to disseminate The ASI research report; Caring and Coping during COVID-19
- Study visits to Scotland and MISA at St James Hospital Scotland report
- Study visit to MISA at St James Hospital MISA Report
- Roundtable on home care and resulting report Homecare Report
- Submission on policy areas: Primary Care; Loneliness; Pre-Budget 2018; Pre-Budget 2019
- Issue of statements and press releases
- Commence Matters and Topical IssuesMembership APOGD – 2020
Launch of pre budget submission 2019
Former Minister Nora Owen speaks at an Oireachtas awareness session 2018
Minister Harris attends Leinster House Tea Day 2017