European and Local Elections
The European and Local elections will take place on Friday 24 May 2019.
You can find out more about our European and Local Election Campaigns in 2014 here
European Election Campaign 2014
The Alzheimer Society of Ireland called on all Irish candidates in the European Elections to continue to make dementia a European priority.
We asked MEPs to:
- Sign the Dementia Pledge and join the European Alzheimer Alliance – link to this under International work/European Alzheimer Alliance
- Work to create Dementia Friendly Communities across the European Union
- Support a dementia research agenda
- Highlight dementia as a major public health and social care issue at European and national levels
- Promote the human rights of people with dementia
Local Election Campaign 2014
Local government plays a critical role in all our lives. Your council is responsible for promoting the interests of your community and the general development of your area, from community planning and development, to service delivery, housing, roads, education and health, as well as recreation and leisure activities.
The Alzheimer Society of Ireland asked candidates to work towards making their area a dementia friendly community. Dementia friendly communities transform villages, towns and cities into better places to live for people with dementia and their families.
We asked all candidates in the local elections to:
- Support their local Alzheimer Society services
- Raise awareness of dementia in their area
- Ensure the voice of people with dementia is heard by decision-makers
- Ensure people with dementia are included in arts and recreation activities
- Recognise the needs of people with dementia and their carers
- Respond to the needs of people with dementia who are under 65